About me:.. ..
It only takes one click to help Kiva fund 60,000 more entrepreneurs!
As you may already know, Kiva's project "Loans that change lives" has just been voted one of the Top 25 in the American Express Members Project online competition. Kiva's is one of just 25 projects sele
Who I'd like to meet:
What is Kiva.org?
Kiva.org is a non-profit that's revolutionizing the fight against global poverty by enabling people like you to make small loans to low-income entrepreneurs around the world. These loans provide affordable working capital -- money to buy sewing machines, livestock, etc. -- thus empowering the poor to earn their way out of poverty. Recently featured in The Wall Street Journal, on the Oprah Winfrey show and in Bill Clinton's new book - "Giving", Kiva is turning heads and making microfinance more accessible to the masses!
How does it work?
Kiva partners with microfinance institutions (MFIs) around the world. These MFIs post profiles of qualified low-income entrepreneurs on Kiva,,s site, and then Kiva users browse through these profiles and choose entrepreneurs to fund. Kiva pools the money from these individual lenders (you!) and transfers it to its MFI partners who administer the loans. As loan repayments are made by the entrepreneurs, the MFIs send funds back to Kiva. Once loans are repaid, Kiva users can choose to withdraw their principal -- or re-loan to other entrepreneurs. Journal updates are issued throughout the course of the loan (usually 6-12 months), so lenders can see how their loan is making a difference.
We show you where your money goes
Unlike donations which usually go into general funds, through Kiva you see exactly WHO your money goes to, WHAT they are doing with it, and HOW you are making a difference. Best part? It's a loan, not a donation :) The below diagram describes how money gets from you to a borrower in another part of the world, and back!
Make a small loan, make a big difference
Most of the poor around the world are self-employed entrepreneurs, and a small loan can dramatically improve the life of these entrepreneurs, their families, and their communities. Over 260,000 "loaners" have discovered Kiva as a way to fight global poverty in a direct, connected, and sustainable way with over 25 million dollars to date; on behalf of our borrowers, our MFIs, and ourselves, we invite you to join them!
Get Involved With Kiva!
1) Add Kiva and put us in your top friends!
2) Register for an account and choose someone to help fund with a small loan at Kiva.org
3) Tell your friends about Kiva! Post about us and this page on your blog, in emails and bulletins.
4) Put a Static Kiva banner on your page. View all banner designs available at kiva.org/about/banners/
5) Connect with other Kiva supporters and Kiva staff at KivaFriends.org
6) Shop at Amazon.com and help Kiva earn 4-10% of anything you purchase through this special Amazon link!
7) Fulfill a Kiva office need by getting us something from our Amazon Wish List!
8) Volunteer or work at Kiva! We're always looking for talented individuals that can help us grow. View our volunteer/job opportunities listings.
9) Join our new network at Change . org and help put Kiva on the list of popular non-profits!
10) Make a direct donation above through the MySpace/PayPal badge program. All funds go directly to Kiva instantly and are used to help cover operating expenses.
- Status: Single
- Zodiac Sign: Pisces