About the American Cancer Society
Having cancer is hard, but finding help shouldn’t be. That’s why we’re here for you and your loved ones 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We are the nation’s largest voluntary health organization dedicated to defeating cancer for good, and we’re here to help – when and where you need us. You can call us at anytime 1-800-ACS-2345 or visit us at www.cancer.org.
Who I'd like to meet:
Whether you or someone you love is facing cancer, the American Cancer Society is here and we can help. From helping you find information about cancer and treatment options, to getting free assistance with transportation and lodging, to connecting you with emotional support groups, we can help through every step of the cancer experience. Find out more about our support programs and services.
What We Do
Fight cancer through research.
Thanks to our many supporters and volunteers, we are making progress every day in the fight against cancer. Because of people like you, we invest more in cancer research than any other nonprofit, non-government organization, leading to groundbreaking discoveries in prevention, early detection, and treatment … and more lives saved. Check out what we’re accomplishing with your help.
Advocate for change.
Life and death decisions about cancer are made every day, not just in the doctor's office but in Congress and statehouses across the country. Our nonprofit, nonpartisan partner advocacy organization, the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network..SM.. (ACS CAN), is working to make cancer issues a national priority to ensure all people have access to quality cancer screenings and treatment.
Provide a community of support.
We are headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, with 12 Divisions throughout the United States and a presence in more than 3,400 communities. Find us in your area.
Learn more about real people facing cancer, what they are doing to fight back, and how the American Cancer Society is helping them.
Browse our stories of hope.
What Can You Do?
Become a part of our volunteer family.
Whether it’s taking part in an event, raising money, advocating for smoke-free legislation, or driving a patient to chemotherapy, there’s a role for you in the movement to end cancer. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- *If you’re in school, get involved through Colleges Against Cancer..SM.. (CAC). With CAC, college students, faculty, and staff come together to bring American Cancer Society programs and services to college communities nationwide.
- *If you’re into marathons, triathlons, and other endurance events, check out our DetermiNation program. This program gives you the opportunity to turn your passion for training and racing into a lifesaving effort by raising money for the American Cancer Society to fight cancer.
- *Support local American Cancer Society fundraising events in your community like Relay For Life®, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer®, and Coaches vs. Cancer®.
No doubt you’ve heard why tobacco is bad for your health (as the major cause of lung cancer, among other health risks). Quitting is hard, and whether it’s you trying to quit or someone close to you, it’s important to have the right support. Count on us to help double the chances of quitting through our Quitline® and interactive resources.
Make smart choices.
It’s amazing – did you know that half of all cancer deaths could be prevented if people simply quit and avoided tobacco products, maintained a healthy weight through eating a proper diet and exercising regularly, and got their recommended cancer screening tests? Find out how to decrease your risk for cancer.
Become an advocate for change.
Use your voice to be part of the growing national movement that is fighting back against cancer with the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN). Help enact smoke-free legislation and limit the power of “big tobacco,” fight for funding for lifesaving cancer screenings, and help ensure that all Americans have access to quality health care.
- Cancer Survivors Network..SM..
- American Cancer Society YouTube channel
- Relay For Life
- Second Life Relay For Life
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
- Colleges Against Cancer
- Coaches vs. Cancer
- Great American Smokeout®
- National Cancer Information Center
- American Cancer Society Cancer
Action Network (ACS CAN)
- Prevent Cancer Every Day with Smart Choices