If you’re from the Bay Area and don’t live under a rock, chances are you have seen Barbara roaming your favorite local hang out, rock show or festival. And if you had a good time, well it’s for good reason. Barbara Wahli, known as “Barb Rocks” to the San Jose scene faithful, has been a dedicated and respected member of the Bay Area music scene since 2006. As a promoter, manager, publicist and writer, there isn’t much going on in the Bay Area that she doesn’t have a hand in. If there were a local Hall of Fame, she would not only be in it but probably be one of its founders.
Dubbed the "queen of the south bay scene" by local FCC Free Radio DJ of the Unbound Sound Show, Barbara has become the hub of an ever-expanding local music scene, continually increasing her network of music contacts. Barbara has always kept the passion and experience at the forefront of her every endeavor, keeping the philosophy of "music first" and making sure the bands aren't taken advantage of. Being involved in all-things music has encouraged Barb Rocks to be a contributing writer to Santa Cruz-based Your Music Magazine and San Jose's former premier music mag Zero Magazine, as well as sponsor of the San Jose edition of Your Music Olympicks, the 2009 South Bay Vans Warped Tour After-Party, the 2010 Bring It Back Tour stage at Left Coast Live, and other local music events.
As a promoter, Barbara is relentless when it comes to making sure a “Barb Rocks Show” is synonymous with quality and success. She is known for offering high-paying gigs, delivering quality sound and competent staff, as well as shows that are well attended and effortlessly executed.
* Picked as Best South Bay Scene Queen by Metro Newspapers in September 2010, stating that "her energy is infectious, and her ear for local talent remarkable."
* Works with San Jose event pioneer Chris Esparza (Giant Creative Services) and the City of San Jose on a multi-genre, multi-venue annual live music festival called Left Coast Live (LCL), which premiered in May 2009 with over 5,000 attendees, with over 100% increase in 2010 to 12,500!
- In 2009 her role for LCL included securing a third of the participating venues, booking most of the rock-oriented music, and running one of the bigger venues with two alternating stages.
- In 2010, Barbara's responsibilities for LCL increased to heading the music selection group, handling booking coordination with bands and booking agents, website/blog editor, guerrilla marketing and promotions planning, and social media outreach, as well as having a "Barb Rocks" sponsored stage featuring 9 local favorites.
- In 2011, Barbara was one of the main bookers (focusing on the rock-oriented genre), recommended the headliner The Limousines, handled all booking coordination with the bands/artists, wrote most of the website/program biographies, handled social media outreach, and oversaw stage management at the event.
* Was on the Board of Directors for South Bay Live, a non-profit organization grown out of a coalition of venue owners, musicians and promoters wanting to help improve and grow the local entertainment culture.
* Was on the committee that organized West Fest in 2009 and 2010, an annual free all-ages show at West Valley College.
* Handled social media outreach for the Woodstock 40th Anniversary Celebration (Sunday October 25, 2009, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco).
* Maintained a leadership role in the San Jose Nightlife & Entertainment Committee (SJNEC), which formed to oppose the proposed promoters licensing ordinance in 2008, with hopes to start an Entertainment Commission with the local government through City Hall.
Additionally Barb Rocks has extensively grown her network, including show exchanges and collaborations, and is affiliated with, or supported by: Compton Bro's Inc., Local Bay Area Music, Blacklight Findings, Nemesis Records LLC, Swisher Wheez, 408INC, SJ•FAM, KungFu Vampire
Up-to-date show listings up on my website at barbrocks.com!
Who I'd like to meet:
Current: Drop Dead Sixty, Pounders
Former: Broken October, Jade of Days, Letters Make Words (now known as The Trash*Pop Icons), My Monster, Nothingleft, and Whatever Fits (who's lead singer James Durbin was an American Idol 2011 Finalist)
Booking, Publicity & Promotions:
Current: A Four Star Affair, Almost Honest, Cadent
Former: Northern Son
- Jun 29, 2011 9:47 PM Bands Playing My Shows in the Metro
- Feb 24, 2011 10:04 PM I am managing San Jose darlings POUNDERS!
- Dec 13, 2010 10:53 PM Historical List of Shows - 2010
- Sep 24, 2010 11:42 PM Metro Best of 2010 staff pick: Best South Bay Scene Queen
- Sep 7, 2010 9:04 PM I am managing East Bay band Drop Dead Sixty!
- Status: Single
- Here for: Networking, Dating, Friends
- Hometown: Zurich, Switzerland
- Orientation: Straight
- Height: 5' 8"
- Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
- Zodiac Sign: Cancer
- Children: Someday
- Education: College graduate
- Occupation: Marketing
University Of Colorado At Boulder
1989 to 1993
- Boulder, COLORADO
- Graduated: 1993
- Student status: Alumni
- Degree: Bachelor's Degree
- Major: Communication
- Clubs: Ski Club
- Greek: Kappa Delta
Santa Clara High
1986 to 1989
- Santa Clara, CA
- Graduated: 1989
- Student status: Alumni
- Degree: High School Diploma
- Clubs: Wilderness Adventures Club, Spanish Travel Club, Rotary Interact, Drama Club, Pep Club, Soccer Team, Tennis Team, Softball Team, Colorguard