By entering your information below and clicking on the search button, you can find volunteer opportunities within miles of where you live! Kudos to Volunteer Match!
"Statistics are another word for problems with the tears wiped away"
-“The lives of 1.7 million childrenwill be needlessly lost this year  because world governments have failed to reduce poverty levels”
Around the world, some 26,500 children die every day.
That is equivalent to:
*1 child dying every 3 seconds
*18 children dying every minute
*A 2004 Asian Tsunami occurring every week
*An Iraq-scale death toll every 15–36 days
*Almost 10 million children dying every year
*Some 60 million children dying between 2000 and 2006
The silent killers are poverty, hunger, easily preventable diseases and illnesses, and other related causes. In spite of the scale of this daily/ongoing catastrophe, it rarely manages to achieve, much less sustain, prime-time, headline coverage.
-The developing world now spends $13 on debt repayment for every $1 it receives in grants.
-A few hundred millionaires now own as much wealth as the world’s poorest 2.5 billion people.
-“The 48 poorest countries account for less than 0.4 per cent of global exports.”
"The war against terror is bound up in the war against poverty." -Secretary of State Colin Powell
*War is also a cause of poverty just as poverty can help set the stages of war.*
-“Approximately 790 million people in the developing world are still chronically undernourished, almost two-thirds of whom reside in Asia and the Pacific.”
According to UNICEF, 30,000 children die each day due to poverty. And they “die quietly in some of the poorest villages on earth, far removed from the scrutiny and the conscience of the world. Being meek and weak in life makes these dying multitudes even more invisible in death.”-That is about 210,000 children each week, or just under 11 million children under five years of age, each year.
-“Today, across the world, 1.3 billion people live on less than one dollar a day; 3 billion live on under two dollars a day; 1.3 billion have no access to clean water.
BUT THERE IS HOPE...
At the Millennium Summit in September 2000 the largest gathering of world leaders in history adopted the UN Millennium Declaration, committing 191 nations to a new global partnership to reduce extreme poverty and setting out a series of time-bound targets, with a deadline of 2015, that have become known as the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
Set for the year 2015, the MDGs are an agreed set of goals that can be achieved if all actors (participants) work together and do their part. Poor countries have pledged to govern better, and invest in their people through health care and education. Rich countries have pledged to support them, through aid, debt relief, and fairer trade. The eight MDG's are:
There is an ENORMOUS uniting of people ALL across our planet to help end extreme poverty. Hope is growing. New methods are advancing. Lives...are...being ...saved!..
It is inspiring to see this global uniting, here are links to the biggest poverty fighting sites of each country.
If your country is not listed here you can visit
The Global Call to Action Against Poverty
..Speaking for those not heard..
The ONE Campaign
.. Child Sponsorship..
The Global Fund
World Food Programme
Food Not Bombs
- Jan 9, 2011 11:47 AM SocialVent: An Inspiring New Platform to Improve Humanity
- May 17, 2009 6:14 PM Zeitgeist II: Addendum-A fascinating approach to end poverty
- Jan 26, 2009 10:22 PM Petition a success! Thanks for all who signed!
- Jan 16, 2009 5:37 AM New volunteer opportunity matching tool available!
- Dec 15, 2008 8:20 AM Musicians! Your chance to help out on a global level!
Please have a listen to these songs, the profits from every download will be donated to those in need. See blog for more detail. Thank you!
WHAT YOU CAN DO
To anyone who actually takes action, please put up a comment or message me to let me know. (That's the equivelant of getting paid to me!)
1) Awareness - Spread the message using all types of media. Place my link when you feel inclined to do so. Do this in a legal manner i.e. - No Spamming.
2) Actors - Become a voice for those in poverty.
3) MUSICIANS - Create a theme song or album with the information provided on this site. Coordinate concerts with other musicians and promoters along with providing information (fliers, stickers, t-shirts etc.) on how people can help to fight extreme poverty. Post a comment on this site to coordinate with other people who wish to be involved with this type of poverty awareness.
4) Write your local member of congress or MP about this issue. This can be done by using the map below or through these hyperlinks: United States Congress, United Kingdom's Government, or Australia's Government
5) Comment section - Utilize the comment section for coordinating with other people. Post a comment, if you have any ideas on how to help end extreme poverty.
6) Sponsor a Child with- Children International-
7) Get the Media Involved-Write letters to the local and national papers. Always remember that local media are always looking for good stories.
8) Make a simple donation- Global Crossroads-
10) Put Your Money to Good Work
a)Buy Fair Trade products-Product(RED) when purchasing items, shop online at TheHungerSite, or buy products from Working Assets who offers among other things a cell phone service where a percentage of the charge of every call you make goes to a good cause.
c) Bank at a socially responsible bank or credit union...
JUST CLICK YOUR STATE, AND YOU WILL BE GIVEN YOUR CONGRESSMEN'S CONTACT INFO! Please write! PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO TO ASSIST YOU IN FORMING YOUR LETTER
.. --> --> --> --> --> --> The client-side imagemap contained in this HTML document (with name "newusamap") and the USA map image (the GIF file which is displayed and uses this imagemap) are copyright (c) 1997 Juan Cabanela. They and any derivative works may not be used in any publication (including, but not limited to WWW-based publications) without the express, written permission of Juan Cabanela. Juan Cabanela may be contacted via email at "http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/mailjuan.html". --> .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. -
Who I'd like to meet:
YOU, Bono, Jeffrey Sachs, Muhammad Yunus, Bill and Melinda Gates, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Mother Theresa, Ghandi, Nelson Mandela, Einstein, Gordon Brown, and any other person interested in making this world better than it is while they are here.
Also: Anyone that is either truly happy or inspired.
Please feel free to message if you have any suggestions on any changes or improvements that you would like to see in this site. It's all appreciated!
- Status: Single
- Here for: Networking, Friends
- Hometown: Ferdinand
- Orientation: Straight
- Body type: 5' 11" / Athletic
- Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
- Zodiac Sign: Gemini
- Children: Proud parent
- Education: In college
- Occupation: Social Work
University Of Southern Indiana
2005 to Present
- Evansville, IN
- Graduated: N/A
- Major: International Social Work
- Minor: Economics