..WHAT YOU CAN DO:
URGENT ACTION NEEDED: This is a critical time for contacting members of the City Council. Please write letters (snail mail) or make phone calls to the following council members:
1. Speaker Christine Quinn: As speaker of the City Council, her cooperation will be instrumental in getting a ban on foie gras passed, yet she is expected to oppose any such action. Please contact her and let her know that there are New Yorkers who take this issue seriously.
The Honorable Speaker Quinn
Speaker of the City Council
New York, NY 10007
2. Councilman Alan Gerson: This councilman from lower Manhattan is considering sponsoring legislation that would ban the sale of foie gras in New York City. He is currently facing massive pressure from the powerful New York City restaurant lobby, which wants to keep foie gras legal. Please send him your support and enouragement.
The Honorable Alan Gerson
Council Member, 1st District
51 Chambers St, Suite 429
New York, NY 10007
(212)788-7722 and ask for Paul Nagle
3. The councilmember in your district: You can look up the councilperson of the district in which you live by entering your address at the League of Human Voters of New York City’s main page. Let your councilmember know how the voters who put him or her in office feel about this issue.
Taking the time to write out and mail a letter or make a phone call will have a huge impact. It means a lot more than even sending an e-mail, since the time it takes shows the councilmembers that you are serious. Please take this simple but profoundly important action AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and get as many animal lovers as you know in New York to do it too. Together we can make this happen!
- Jan 28, 2009 8:48 PM February 2009 leafleting schedule!
- Oct 1, 2007 11:45 PM New Video! Foie Gras Cruelty: Undercover in Canada
- Sep 30, 2007 1:28 PM Compassionate Kid Creations Needed!
- Sep 23, 2007 4:30 PM NYC Fairway Demo TODAY!
- Sep 23, 2007 4:27 PM Join Farm Sanctuary’s Volunteer Internship Program!
NYC No Foie Gras Campaign has 761 friends.
Foie gras (pronounced "fwah grah") has been exalted in some gourmet food circles as a prized delicacy, but if most people knew how it is produced, they would be horrified. Foie gras is made from birds who have endured tremendous cruelty and physical abuse in order to make their livers unnaturally large and fatty. The ducks and geese who are raised for foie gras typically spend their entire lives confined to dark and dingy sheds, sometimes in tiny cages, where they must endure a daily ritual of forced feedings.
Starting when they're just a few months old, the ducks are grabbed by a farm worker who, several times a day, shoves a long metal pipe down their throats so that a mixture of corn and oil can be thrust directly into their gullets. In just a matter of weeks, the ducks become grossly overweight, and their livers expand to up to 10 times their normal size. This process is such a physical strain that many of the animals don't even live long enough to be slaughtered, succumbing to such ailments as pneumonia, liver disease, ruptured stomachs and throat trauma.
For more information about the cruelty involved in foie gras, visit
The New York City Say No to Foie Gras Campaign.
Who I'd like to meet:
We're looking for compassionate people who want to spread the word about the horrific realities of foie gras. We're especially looking for people in the New York City area who want to help us join the city of Chicago, the state of California, and more than a dozen countries worldwide in taking action to ban foie gras.
You can help us put an end to the cruelty! To find out how you can contribute to the campaign to have foie gras banned in New York City, e-mail Wendy Berner at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 646-369-6212. And be sure to add us as a friend and check back often, as we're always new features!
- Status: Single
- Here for: Networking, Friends
- Zodiac Sign: Scorpio