I hope y'all are having a warm winter! I'm still not completely acclimated to the Austin weather, hence wearing my parka when it's 70 degrees today. Oh well.
When I must say 2007 was a pretty great year for films. And it's strange cuz my favorites are actually being recognized and getting awards. That never happens.
Runners up: Hostel II, Sicko & Rescue Dawn
10. The Great Happiness Space: Tale of the Osaka Love Thief (Japanese)
- An eye opening documentary about male escorts in Japan. It's suppose to be funny, but it's oh-so tragic. The last scene is great; all the male escorts wake up from their morning coma's and stumble out of the club together. Half dead, they walk into the sunrise.
9. Simpsons, The
- I'm a nerd! And a sucker for any Simpsons... hence my Simpsons chess game, Simpsons christmas ornaments, Simpsons mugs.... but it helps that it's a funny film. Best new character: Boob lady and her sexy breathing rituals.
8. Southland Tales
- Is this film a complete mess or the most original and fascinating post-Apocalyptic film of the last few years? I dunno.... but it sure stays in your head. And I will give kudos to any film that casts Cheri Oteri, Sean William Scott, The Rock and Justin Timberlake in serious roles. And they're all great here. Did I just give Sean Williams Scott kudos? Sweet lord...
7. Golden Compass, The
- Um, what happened with this film!? It's amazing, heart warming, smart eye candy. It did pretty bad in the US and I'm still shocked. Personally, I never got Lord of the Rings(well, alittle. I am a nerd) or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer of of never ending sequels. Golden Compass outshines them all. And really, I'd rather have a cat as a friend than an owl. Owl's are b-o-r-i-n-g!
- Could be the yummiest gay film since Y Tu Mama Tambien. Gayer than Clay Aiken. Even gayer than Ross from Celebrity Fit Club. It's Porky's, but with heart. Definitely the funniest film of the year!
5. No Country for Old Menz
- Of course. This is a no brainer. Amazing cast, perfect direction and characters that will live on forever. I know it's winning all the awards and most likely will win best picture at the Oscars(if there's going to be an Oscars!) and I'm fine with that. Good stuff.
4. Tailor Made (Chinese/Canadian)
- Okay here's a film probably 99.7% of you haven't heard. It's a Canadian documentary that chronicles the final year of a tailor shop run by 3 elderly Chinese men. They are locally famous and have clients like Sean Connery. None of their children want to continue the business, so they have to find an apprentice or close the shop. I smell a reality show! If only! It's funny and tragic. I cried a lot during the screening. And I never cry. My partner thinks I'm empty inside.
3. Diving Bell and the Butterfly
- Speaking of crying... yeah, this is a tear-jerker too. And a must see. Any film about someone, who writes a novel with just one eye is going to inspire you. I ran out of the theatre thanking God for all my limbs. I was contemplating writing a novel myself, but there was a marathon of America's Next Top Model.... so it goes.
- Anyone who knows me knows I love Ellen Page. She can't do wrong in my book. And a film with her, Jason Bateman, Alison Janing and supercool Michael Cera can't go wrong. Especially with a soundtrack by the Moldy Peaches. Best movie in the theatres currently.
Yes, the sweet Irish musical gets my numbero Uno spot. And not only is it the number 1 spot this year, but has moved into Masa's top ten films of all time list. It's never forced, there are no ridiculous suprises in the 3rd act and it's one of the most honest film about love and relationships. Not every love story has a happy-ever-after ending, but can end happily. And not even love. This film's more about lonliness and finding comfort in another person. It's not as dramatic as love, but still is an experience we all hope for.
Okay that's it! One side note, I still haven't seen all the 2007 films. There will be blood and I don't want to sleep alone are still on my radar. And could break in. Also I haven't seen Alvin and the Chipmunks....
Happy New Year!!! 2008 will be an amazing year for everyone!!!