From Nice, France, percussionist Philippe Ciminato is a versatile musician performing worldwide in reknown jazz festivals and venues. Specialized in congas, he has the privilege of sharing the stage with amazing artists such Salena Jones, Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez, Toninho Horta, Steve Thornton, Dwiki Dharmawan & The World Peace Orchestra, Indra Lesmana, Lenny Castro, Gerald Albright, Baba Sissoko, Guy Strazz, Hugh Fraser, Alonso Gonzales y Jazz latino, Martin Denev, Joe Rosenberg, Mounir Troudi, Jean-Marc Jaffet, Kamal Mussalam, Mimo Cafiero & Open Jazz Orchestra, Lica Cecato and many other wonderful musicians.
His newest album TaoKombo "Collective Messkeepers" (Demajors/2010), a modern Jazz quintet, has been acclaimed and nominee as "Best Instrumental Jazz Album" by ICEMA Indonesia.
As sideman, he appears in about 30 records produced by Sony, EMI Music, BMG, Warner and other independent labels.(see the selected discography below)
Based in the south of France, Philippe performs in Europe with the salsa band La Sicula Sabrosa while working on a new recording project with the Jean-Luc Danna Septet, applying a rich heritage of Afro-Latin music with contemporary jazz.
As recording artist:
* TAOKOMBO "Collective Messkeepers" (Demajors)
* THE 6th ELEMENT "Hectadance" (Aksara Records)
* SADA Quartet "Live@Fatmawati" (to be released/Demajors)
In studio session/collaboration:
* LA MAXIMA 79 "Habia Cavour" (Alosibla/Salsa.it Volume 8)
* LA MAXIMA 79 "Mi Chula" (Alosibla/Salsa.it)
* MASSIMO SCALICI "Salsa Compilation Volume 7" (salsa.it)
* JAMBO SANA "Live@Castello del Mare Palermo" (Indie)
* BUBI CHEN NEW SEXTET "The many colors of Buby Chen" (Platinum/Disc Tarra)
* BANDANAIRA "The Journey of Indonesia"
* GLENN FREDLY "Dansa yo dansa"(Sony-BMG)
* MALIQ & D'ESSENTIALS "(Soldout Records/ Warner Music)
* RIEKA ROSLAN "Bercerita"(Sony-BMG)
"Mata Ketiga"(RR Records-Demajors)
"Triangle of Life"(Platinum Records)
* INDRA LESMANA "Silver"(Sony-BMG)
* SOVA "Tempo Tantrum"
“Selayang Jingga” (Get Ready Records)
* THE GROOVE "Hati-Hati"(Sony Music)
* RUTH SAHANAYA "Ku Tergoda"(Sony Music)
* SHANTY "Asmara"(Warner Music Indonesia)
* BELLA SAPHIRA "Holong Naso Sintong"(Warner Music Indonesia)
* OLIVE "Fantasy"(Sangaji Music)
* TATA "When will I see you again"(Sangaji Music)
* PUPUT MELATI "Bawalah Daku"(Warner Music Indonesia)
* QUE PASA "It’s only love"(Crystal Grid Records)
Philippe has left his hometown in 1996 to travel the world extensively as interests of other cultures led him to study the Indonesian Gamelan music, Afro-Cuban, Brazilian and West-African traditions. Having completed his academic studies of classical and contemporary/Jazz Music majoring in Afro-Cuban percussion, Philippe studied with his mentor Aksan Sjuman and specialized in congas under the private tuition and guidance of great percussionists Alonso Gonzalez, Faiser Florez, Javier Campos Martinez, workshops with Richie Flores, Omar Hakim, Masako Hamamura & John Hondorp.
He contributed greatly to the development of the Latin Percussion in Indonesia as a freelance musician and Latin percussion instructor there. Philippe represented the brand LP through its exclusive distributor (Pt BNG) in the country and during 8 years regularly performed and recorded with top Indonesian artists such as:
Aksan Sjuman, Bubi Chen, Idang Rasjidi, Indra Lesmana, Rieka Roslan, Glenn Fredly, Dwiki Dharmawan, Fariz RM, Krisdayanti, Viky Sianipar, Maliq & D’Essentials, Pitoelas Big Band, Opustre Big Band, Ruth Sahanaya ...
Another project while in Indonesia was the filmed/documentary of spontaneous composition concept & ethnic jazz, SADA Quartet is: PHILIPPE CIMINATO - Percussions, AGAM HAMZAH - Guitars, ADI DARMAWAN - Electric bass, SAAT BORNEO - traditional flute.
Check out the Live video Recording of SADA (20 mn) in the video page!
LIVE WITH NOJAZZ@NIKAIA, NICE 2011
CONCERT WITH THE WORLD PEACE ORCHESTRA 2009
SOLO WITH STEVE THORNTON
WITH BIG BAND PITOELAS@SALIHARA APRIL 2009