SOAR® (Speaking Out About Rape, Inc.®) runs national awareness, education and prevention programs to empower survivors of sexual violence and enhance the public's understanding and acceptance of rape victims.
WHAT exactly does SOAR do?
* Provides presentations on rape awareness, focusing on the healing process.
* Educates groups who work with sexual assault victims (such as law enforcement, medical professionals, mental health workers, and advocates) on victim sensitivity and related issues.
* Provides financial assistance to victims when other funds are not available or don’t cover a certain expense (e.g., counseling, transportation, security systems, moving expenses, daily living expenses).
* Provides survivors and their families and friends with referrals for counseling, medical assistance, victims’ rights information, legal assistance, advocacy, etc.
* Works to improve the response system for victims by writing new laws, strengthening old laws, collaborating on national protocols to create a national unified response, etc.
* Advocates for the advancement of DNA technology and the reduction of the rape-kit backlog, to help promote accuracy and success in the prosecution of rapists.
* Hosts Operation Freefall® each year to increase awareness and raise funds.
* Hosts SOAR SPA® (Something Positive Afterward®) to offer survivors and their loved ones an opportunity for healing and bonding.
* Provides the media with information and tools to discuss sexual assault in productive ways.
* In Orlando, SOAR is currently working on establishing a specialized center to provide individual and group therapy to persons effected by sexual violence.